04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

Dipped my toes into re-upholstering, in this case, giving new skin to a grubby chair.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering
04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

I took the seat off to see if it was worth rescuing, paying attention to the foam.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

With all systems a-go, I went ahead and plotted on colour schemes. This is where hoarding random upholstery remnants and samples pay off. (In my opinion.)

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

There were curves and many pins involved. It is very 3-dimensional, I gave up on measuring.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

I also basted the seams when too many pins got in the way… This was then lifted off to be machine-sewn and seams overlocked.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

The bottom bit almost stopped me in my tracks. But that’ll do. I imagine a proper slip cover would skirt the bottom of the seat.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

By some fluke accident, the bottom flap got stuck on the velcro, making things look tidy on the outside.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

Did I do that? Beginner’s luck, maybe. Woven fabric can be forgiving when stretched on foam.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

The seat was probably the fun bit, with no sewing but tools getting involved.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering
04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering
04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

The ugly bottom will just be a secret between you and me.

04.Apr.16 DIY Re-upholstering

Tadaa!

Advertisements

Your Thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s